The program is open to sophomores, juniors, and seniors in good academic standing at their home institution. Two semesters of college-level Italian constitute the prerequisite for the fall semester, and three semesters of college-level Italian for the spring. A “B” average in Italian language courses is required. Students with less than four semesters of college-level Italian are required to attend the August session in Lecce, in the Puglia region. This course is a three-week intensive review of grammar and an introduction to contemporary Italy, and is required of students with only one year of college-level Italian. Students with two full years of college-level Italian may be exempted from the Lecce session. Participants are subject to specific requirements laid down by their home institution for study abroad.
Tuition and fees
Distinct from other programs in Bologna, the tuition for the E.C.Co. Program for the semester, decided in February of the preceding year, is virtually all-inclusive.
The E.C.Co. program fee covers the following expenses:
– Student housing (furnished)
– Partial daily food allowance (13€/day)
– Administrative oversight and assistance of all immigration procedures
– Tuition for all academic courses (whether at the University or the E.C.Co. in-house courses, including the intensive language program in September and January)
– Day-long (curricular and co-curricular)
– 1 excursion out of Bologna (typically 2 nights), including travel, per semester
– Varied activities (gatherings, dinners) in and around Bologna throughout the semester
– Cooking classes
– To encourage students’ exploration of cultural activities, E.C.Co. offers a partial reimbursement (up to 100 €/student/semester)
Extensive academic orientation and advising
Academic support for university courses and exams
The E.C.Co. program, in addition, organizes group travel from the United States to Bologna (and return) at cost. If students do not take the group flight, they do not pay for it. They are expected to communicate all travel plans to the Resident Director as well as to the office staff in Bologna.
Typical costs to students not covered by the program fee:
– Any elective travel
– An Italian cell phone (required by the program in case of emergency, cost approximately 30 €) and any telephone calls
– Other incidentals: laundry, towels, some kitchen items
For further information, students from Vassar College, Wellesley College, and Wesleyan University should contact their respective study abroad offices.
Students from schools outside the E.C.Co. Consortium (Vassar College, Wellesley College, Wesleyan University) should contact, for the A.Y. 2018-19:
Department of Italian Studies
Wellesley, MA 02481
Tel: (781) 283-2879
Office of International Study
Wellesley, MA 02481
Tel: (781) 283-3532